Hungerford Tower - About Us


St Lawrence Church, Hungerford, Berks

St Lawrence Church, HungerfordSituated on the Wiltshire/Berkshire borders midway between Newbury and Marlborough, the ancient town of Hungerford stands astride the A4 trunk road and the Great Western Railway. To the traveller along the London to Bath Road, and the canal boaters, the Church Tower alongside the Kennet and Avon canal will always provide a landmark, standing away from the town centre, adjoining open Marshland. 

The present church has been standing for almost two centuries and is known to have had two predecessors on the same site. The latter fell into disrepair and was demolished at the beginning of the 19th century. In its place, the present Church was erected to the design of Mr Pinch of Bath, in a Georgian Gothic style in 1816, the stone used in the construction being the first commercial cargo to be hauled along the nearby canal form the City of Bath.

Login